Never Let Me Go (2010)

My first review will be about Mark Romanek´s Never Let Me Go (2010). The film, based on the book by Kazuo Ishiguro, talks about the life of three kids, Ruthy (Keira Knightley), Kathy (Carey Mulligan) and Tommy (Andrew Garfield), that grew in an English boarding school in the 70s. At first it seems like the movie may be an historical one, but in the first 10 minutes you discover that in that school the kids only live until their 30s because they are used exclusively to donate organs to other people, raising life expectancy until 100 years.
The concept of the story is interesting. Two types of humans, the ones that live 100 years and that ones that since they were born know that their destiny is to save people by donating their own organs and living a shorter life.

 Although the story is located in a science-fiction context, its really about love and about accepting your destiny. Is about trying to enjoy your life, no matter if its 100 years old or 30 years old. And that's precisely where, in my opinion, the movie fails. The speed of the movies is really slow, is like you are watching the characters (excellent acting of the 3 leads) do their life's and nothing really happens. The movie is divided in three parts, the first one is the kids growing in the boarding school, the second one is the teenagers enjoying life outside of school and the final part is the adults starting to fulfill their destiny, donating. You know that's whats going to happen since the beginning of the movie and there is no surprise at all, maybe excepting the end. I would have preferred if, for example, they tried to escape from the boarding school, or tried escaping their destiny. But it seems that wasn't the main point of the story, the main point was love and I think they didn't express it well enough.
At the end, I enjoyed the acting, I enjoyed the mix of watching a story happening in the 70s but with all this futuristic look of donors being raised and the only thing I really missed was a little bit more of action and suspense.
My rating for this movie is 6.5/10

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Guadi - FictionWorms said...

I guess most of the people felt the same as we did about this movie. And we all agree that it lacks something: someone told me optimism, you say their will to escape (that felt weird for me to, but maybe it would have been a lot like The Island that way), I say something like a climax, because the movie had the same amount of sadness all the time, but there was not a strong moment in which I felt moved. As I said before, it is not a bad movie, but it could have been a lot better.

Post a Comment